Sunday, October 18, 2009

Jack is out of remission! SO sad

It has taken me over a week to update this, as I am in shock and so very sad to let you know that Jack was confirmed out of remission on Tuesday 2 weeks ago. There were no symptoms but the Vet found it through needle aspirate. I was gutted, he has been so well and I was secretly hoping for a cure. So it has been a real rollercoaster - deciding what to do and in the end it came down to more of not being able to do nothing!!!!! So we restarted chemo immediately and I agreed last week to continue - I will see how we go from an emotional, time and financial perspective.

One of the saddest parts is that RSPCA Pet Insurance had advised they would not include Cancer in Jack's future plan. I was of course upset, and rang them but as they pointed out - he now had a pre-existing condition and no other insurer would accept him. So my hands were tied, but at the time I didn't believe his cancer would come back so soon (10 months after diagnosis and 5 months after completion of Chemotherapy). So I renewed just in case of an accident.

They have now confirmed they won't cover the second round of Chemo, so of course now cost has to be a major consideration.

Jack remains well - he had some nausea last week after his second treatment (which he did in the first round) but over the weekend he was lively - lapped up a puppacino at our local "Cafe Bones" in Leichhardt, Sydney - walked from Bondi to Bronte and played with puppies, and just enjoyed life in his usual way.

Please think of us and send special fur thoughts
Cxxx

5 comments:

  1. I am so, so sorry to hear that Jack came out of remission? How soon was he in remission whe n he went through chemo the first time? It is good that the dr. found it through a needle aspirate instead of Jack not feeling well. Poor little guy! I am sure you were hoping for a lot, lot longer than a five month remission. Fingers crossed that this time will last 20 times longer!!! Preacher and I are sending as many good thoughts as we can. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    I just wanted to check in and see how you are doing. I have been thinking about you and Jack. just wanting to see how you are. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi There - I have been too superstitious to update the blog, which I know is ridiculous, but I felt like maybe I was too upbeat before in my blogs and then he came out of remission.

    But thanks for asking and he is doing really well on this round of chemo. Jack went into remission after his first chemo treatment in the first round, and again this time. How is darling Preacher?

    Happy New year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,

    I just came upon Jacks Blog and was wondering how he is doing. Thank you also for posting that beautiful written piece by the Sydney journalist. It should come with a warning though: keep tissues handy!!! We lost one of our Golden retrievers to cancer a few years ago, so know what you are going through.
    All the best

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for kind thoughts. Jack is doing extremely well on his second round of Chemo - I think it is actually harder on me. He is eating wonderful food and getting lots of love and cuddles.

    ReplyDelete